New Compost Bin



My husband's cousin bought me this Geobin composter for my birthday.  It came rolled up pretty tight in a small box.  I laid the plastic in my driveway for an entire day to heat it up and flatten it out.

On a side note, My lawn looks horrible right now.  It's just now starting to green up from this winter.
Assembled
The garbage can has now been replaced
You can see it has a lot of air holes and top and bottom is open.  I like the bottom being open so worms can make their way into the compost.  I'm just unsure what will happen when it rains and snows.  I'm sure I'll cover it in the winter.  Anyway, I started collecting my leaves and my neighbors' leaves last fall.
 I mow my lawn with a mulcher blade which is great for my lawn but does not allow me to collect grass clippings.  I asked my neighbor and he said he would start giving me his.
When I cleaned my garden this spring, I pulled all of the dead plants and added it to the pile.
Now I can add it to my compost...so this is my initial layer.

Kitchen scrap layer - I saved my kitchen scraps and paper towel and toilet paper rolls.  A lot of it has already started to breakdown that's why you can't recognize everything. 
My husband's cousin also got me these free coffee grounds from Starbucks...super cool.

Coffee Layer
Alpaca poo layer - then I watered everything a little bit

Final brown layer.  I added A LOT to this bin and it's barely halfway full.  I'm excited about how much space there is.  I plan on checking the temperature in a couple of days so that I know it's heating up properly.

My kids, especially my son, think I'm crazy that I think compost is cool.  LOL  When I was young, if my mom was into this, I would also think she was crazy.  I don't know why I like all this stuff so much, but I do.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment