Cabbage Planting 2 of 2 and Pepper Planting 1 of 2

February 28 -

Cabbage
Started my 2nd cabbage.  Seems silly starting another one when my first one is so tiny.  I'm wondering if 2 weeks really makes a difference.  We will find out. :)

Habanero







It's -10 weeks before the last frost and you can start peppers indoors between -10 to -8 weeks.  Most seem to opt for -8.

I noticed last year that my habaneros took a lot longer to grow and a lot longer to harvest than all of my other pepper plants so I decided to start my habaneros earlier than the others.

Well, I just read the back of the package and compared it to all of my other peppers and boy don't I feel dumb.  These take 100 days to harvest while all my others are around 70 days...so...with my little 7-day head start, not thinking that's going to make a difference!

I have done so much research, why haven't I seen something out there saying to start these 2-3 weeks before your other peppers?  Everything I've seen just has you starting all of your peppers at the same time.  (perhaps that's why they have the information on the back of the packet?)

Last year I started all of my peppers on week -10 (notice the 2/29/12 written on the packet) so I'm disappointed that I forgot to start the habaneros on week -11 or week -12 and all other peppers on week -10.  Oh, well.  It will be fine.

This year I'm going to allow for two plants to grow next to each other and treat them like one plant.  I read that by doing that the leaves from each other's plant helps to shade each other and the fruit so you end up with stronger, healthier plants.

My plants were amazing last year so I'm nervous to try something new but you don't know unless you try.  I'm thinking I'll split it up and test half of my peppers with twosies and the other half by themselves.

I'll do the tests so you don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment